Spousal Support Lawyer Austin, TX
Alimony is also known as spousal support and is the payment arrangement between two former spouses wherein one receives financial assistance from the other person. The reason it is now known is as spousal support because unlike in previous years, it is not always paid by the former husband to the former wife. In fact, the determination of spousal support eligibility is no longer based in whole or in part on gender. As a spousal support lawyer in Austin, TX from The Law Offices of Ryan S. Dougay
can tell you, the terms can create confusion. A common question that we hear is, How do I know if I can get alimony? Below is some information that can clarify this topic for you, but ultimately the best thing to do is request a free consultation with a spousal support lawyer in Austin, TX from our firm. If you are in the process of separating from your spouse, alimony payments are an important consideration. Learn from one of our skilled attorneys how this issue may affect your divorce arrangement.
The Law Offices of Ryan S. Dougay offers a free and confidential consultation to individuals who are anticipating getting divorced, or are in the process and are exploring their legal options. A spousal support lawyer in Austin, TX from our firm can review the details of your situation and determine if we may be able to help you. Whether you need to determine eligibility for receiving alimony, or you anticipate having to pay it, we may be able to protect your rights to a fair agreement. When appropriate, we can fight for your right to receive spousal support or help you avoid having to pay too much or for too long.
Eligibility for Alimony
Laws concerning alimony eligibility vary by state, which is why it’s important that your case is reviewed by an alimony lawyer from our firm who can provide you with answers specific to your situation. Generally speaking, there are a number of variables that will be considered when the court decides if either spouse should receive alimony, the amount of payments if so, and for how long and under what circumstances the payments should continue. The variables that may be considered include the following:
- The income that each spouse earns, including stocks, property rentals, etc.
- The liabilities and debt of each spouse.
- The ability of each spouse to earn income, including their formal education and prior work experience.
- The age of each spouse as well as their overall health, mental and emotional capacity.
- The anticipated or currently received retirement benefits of each spouse.
- The number of years and months that the marriage lasted.
- The likelihood of the spouse who is caring for their minor children can work out of the house while caring for those children.
- The standard of living enjoyed by both spouses during the time they were married.
- The extent to which each spouse contributed to the other spouse in terms of making it possible for them to further their education or training and thus their income earning ability.
- The degree to which the lesser earning spouse must return to school or undergo training in order to rejoin the workforce or increase their level of income.
Your spousal support lawyer in Austin, TX fromThe Law Offices of Ryan S. Dougay can clarify how income disparity may affect your case. In most scenarios, the significantly higher earning spouse may be held responsible for making payments to the lesser earning spouse if that spouse is in need for one reason or another. In many instances, the court will rule that neither spouse is responsible for paying alimony. How the court ultimately makes its determination can be difficult to anticipate without the insight of an experienced spousal support lawyer.
The Law Offices of Ryan S. Dougay: Your Resource for Legal Insight and Rights Protections
Our spousal support lawyer in Austin, TX from The Law Offices of Ryan S. Dougay is highly versed in divorce law and as such can provide you with the legal guidance you need in order to protect your best interests. Give our office a call today to speak with a spousal support lawyer Austin, TX
community members turn to for quality legal assistance.